RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

Tweaking Performance of a Bachman 0-6-0/Chivers 2-6-2

From Paul Brozowski, 15 June 2000

I recently purchased a Bachman 0-6-0 for use in the Chivers 2-6-2 Prarie. It ran poorly in reverse just as others have experienced. The good news is that I was able to get it to run extremely well!

1. One part of the side rod mechanism was hitting another of the stationary parts. I was able to adjust the mechanism with a needle nose pliers to prevent this from happening. I do not know the correct terms for the parts; the part I adjusted is attached to the rear driver and sits furthest “outside”. By slightly pinching and re-shaping it

(from   "__" to "__   "
          /        |
         /_        |_

I was able to reduce the distance the part traveled in the direction required. This improved the performance only by a little bit. (Still confused?
email me and I’ll do my best to draw an ascii diagram to help locate the exact part)

2. The greatest performance improvement was found by performing the following.

In my unit the worm gear of the motor was pushing down hard on the associated gear of the rear driver. I didn’t remove the parts and measure with a caliper but my guess is that the gear was slightly mis-formed. There probably was not enough clearance for the gear to rotate. With the Bachman mechanism there are two metal pieces which help hold the motor in place and also provide electrical continuity between the pickups and the (?) stators. I adjusted the metal piece on the left (fireman’s) side so that the motor could sit higher. I then placed a sliver of cardboard between the chassis and the clear plastic insulator sheet which sits between the chassis and the motor. I located it in front of the of the screw hole for the screw which attaches the motor to the chassis. (It took a couple attempts to get a piece with the correct height; the one I used was approximately the height of 3 pieces of paper)

The end result is that there is greater “space” between the worm gear and the gear of the driver. The front of the motor is now tipped up a little bit.

The loco no longer binds and runs equally well forward and backward.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to all who previously contributed tips/ideas.

Paul Brozowski

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.