RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

Revitalizing an old 0-4-0 Bachmann mechanism

One of the most common problems with the 0-4-0 is the split gears that cause binding and wobbling.
With new muff gears available from N-drive I decided to give it a try. Gears were ordered, and arrived within a week or so.
Abandoned parts were collected from my leftover box, and were cleaned up a bit before assembly.

New gears installed

New gears installed

The gears seem to be injection molded, and with a good geometry.

Wheels inserted

Wheels inserted

The wheels are a nice fit, and seem to align well.

In the parts box I also found an old motor that needed some convincing to run, so a cleanup on the collector was needed. Carefully pull out the brushes and remember the position. Then carefully remove any carbon residue from the gaps with a needle. Finally, use some styrene scrap and a piece from an erasor to clean the collectors. The brushes should also be lightly scraped with a dull knife.

Collector cleanup

Collector cleanup

Add a tiny drop of oil to the bearings, and let the motor run on various speeds for several minutes to see that everything is okay.
The wheels and wipers will probably also ned a little cleaning – this is a good time for that.
Make sure that the motor is properly snapped toghether before assembly, this is not supposed to be a Swiss watch..
And after the motor is mounted, make sure the worm sits properly on the gear with a little play.
Running performance is okay, even at slow speeds, but expect some jump starts with the original motor.
After assembly, the little 0-4-0, put together from junk parts, now runs quite well and without any noticeable wobble. It is recommended to attach the Docksider weight with the front screw when running it in, or it will be too light.

Next step is to add a motor from a Kato four wheel truck as this is a perfect fit – see Bachmann 0-4-0 / Kato motor upgrade

You must be logged in to post a comment.